New Header

Blue Parts BikeBlue Parts Bike,...

The picture on the left is pretty much how the bike was when I picked it up.  It is basically just a frame with a forks, a motor and two very flat tyres.  To add to the difficulty of moving this bike around, the rear brake was grabbing.

I had to remove the botched up brake linkage (which was a piece of cable rather than the correct steel rod) to try to free up the wheel so I could get the bike out of my Transit Van.

Front and rear guards from God knows what, were bolted, welded and wired into place.  The rear mudflap has Yamaha on it so it's definitely not supposed to be on there. 

At least the front guard had a "Honda" mudflap on it! 

Reused Dingo Trap ?!So with great difficulty I pushed the bike from the back yard and onto the newly acquired motorcycle lift table and strapped it down to get started on removing the left side cover to get to the bottom cam chain sprocket.

It's hard to see on the picture but there is some sort of contraption welded to the seat location.  It looks a bit like an early prototype of a Dingo trap or something. 

It has me completely baffled.  For the life of me I can't figure out what it's supposed to be or what it's supposed to do.  Special care has been taken to add the extra bit at the bottom to make it wide enough to fit the frame and raise the whole thing up a bit higher.

My only guess at the moment is the previous owner had really, really bad haemorrhoids and would have to hang them over the back bit when he was riding the bike. 

Of course I am open to other suggestions !  Shoot me an email if you reckon you know what it is.

If you look carefully you can see the quality of the welds holding bits on.

Wire Hangers

The carry rack has been fitted with closed eyes and an arc welder using fencing wire instead of welding rods.  Some of the left over wire was used to tie the bits to the frame the welder missed.   Daggy Welds

The same welding technique has been used to weld the left shock absorber into place.

At least with this sort of past abuse, no-one should complain about me chopping up this frame to build my Town Chopper.  Anything has to be an improvement on its current state.

The motor will be grateful for a re-birthing too.

Once I had the bike on the lift table and was about to remove the left side cover, I thought I better drain the oil first.  I removed the drain plug and nothing came out !  There was no oil at all in the motor.

When I went to remove the side cover screws, I hit them firmly using a socket extension as a punch to "break the thread."  These screws in aluminium casings tend to develop a corrosive bond that makes them hard to undo.  Hitting them breads that bond making it easier to unscrew them.

 Three were extremely tight, one slightly burred and one Phillips head was totally stripped out.  I had to re-whack them to ensure the bond was broken and, on the stripped one, angle grind a slot to use a slot-head screwdriver. 

Exhaust Modifications

Once the side cover came off, water ran from the clutch mechanism area so that may create some other problems as I get further into the motor.

Some thought was given to the exhaust system (I think). 

It looks like a previous owner chopped up the upswept from an old agricultural (ag.) bike and welded it to the existing header.  The problem is, the ag. bike was a smaller capacity so now it has a  pipe.

The header pipe is a 30mm pipe but it has a 26mm pipe from another bike welded to it.

Of course, mounting points for this "new" exhaust system were non existent so, out came the bloody welder again. If you look back at the Dingo Trap seat photo, you can see the unique quality of the welds. 

Dyson Hoover Air intake

And so, it goes without saying, when it came to replacing the air intake, the previous owner used some initiative.

That poor vacuum cleaner sitting in the corner provided some much needed parts for the bike,...

More on what is happening with this bike when it happens.  Right now, I have to either make a flywheel puller or buy one online if my idea doesn't work.

I also have to put some more time into the 1991 KN Ford Laser that is taking up valuable space in my single car garage.  A new set of rings and big end bearings and hopefully it will on the road again.